Treating yourself to a warm bath is a perfect way to get centred (especially in this cold weather)!
Besides warming you up and helping you to relax, here are ten additional benefits of a warm bath on your wellbeing:
- It helps you unwind and relieve stress, intensified if you add some essential oils such as eucalyptus or lavender.
- Assists your body in inducing sleep. When your increased body temperature due to the bath begins to lower once you hop out, it signals the production of melatonin in your brain which triggers sleep.
- Helps your skin detox by opening the pores and encouraging sweating so that toxins can be brought to the surface and eliminated.
- Helps lower blood sugar and glucose levels which may assist in losing weight if undertaken regularly and in the right fashion.
- The increased body temperature encourages the release of endogenous opioid peptides, primary endorphins (a natural chemical in the blood), which relieves pain, boosts the immune system, and prevents headaches.
- Fights cold and flu symptoms; The steam moisturises and soothes the nasal passages, dries out mucous in the throat, and relaxes sore muscles. Want to give your immune system a boost? If so, you could also try using some zinc lozenges to relieve your sore throat.
- Improves your blood circulation due to the physical pressure of the water on your body which lightly increases the capacity of the heart.
- Lowers your blood pressure due to the heat and sweating.
- Relieves painful joints and muscles
- Helps your bowels work smoothly. Similar to a hot water bottle on your lower abdomen, a warm bath relaxes the surrounding muscles which help move things along.
*Please note that hot baths can cause complications in people with chronic conditions, or those who are pregnant.